As far as I know, you can’t take the class in another state and the CNA exam in Pennsylvania even though other states may allow this. It may be possible to get your CNA certification in North Carolina and then apply for reciprocity in PA. You should contact the Pennsylvania nurse aide registry at 800-852-0518 before you enroll in a training program to make sure that it meets the PA requirements for reciprocity and that your NC certification can be transferred to PA after you get it. You are eligible for CNA testing in Pennsylvania only if:
- You have completed a nurse aide training program, approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, within the last 24 months.
- You are a student nurse. You must have been approved to test by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and you must enclose a copy of that authorization to test letter with your application.
- Your Pennsylvania nurse aide registration has lapsed because you have not worked providing nursing-related services for at least 24 consecutive months. In this case you have only one opportunity to successfully pass the NNAAP examination. If the examination is failed, you must complete nurse aide training again and reapply for the exam.
- You are a certified nurse aide on another state's nurse aide registry but your certification has lapsed because you have not worked providing nursing-related services for at least 24 consecutive months. In this case you only have one opportunity to successfully pass the examination and if you fail you have to complete nurse aide training again and reapply for testing.
In order to be eligible for employment as a nurse aide in Pennsylvania you:
- must be 16 years of age or older,
- have to submit to a criminal background check,
- must not have any exclusionary convictions on record,
- must not have have substantiated findings on any other state registry or licensing board.
Nursing home administrations may employ a non-registered individual as a nurse aide for up to 120 days while the individual works to achieve registration in PA either through the nurse aide training and testing program, or by way of reciprocity from another state.