How do I transfer my CNA license to Texas?

0 votes
asked in License by Roza Y.
I am a felon and have already put in to get a waiver. I do not need a waiver, so how do I go about transferring my Illinois CNA certification to Texas?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered by Abby Langlois

You can qualify for reciprocity if you are currently listed as having active status on the nurse aide registry in another state that is in compliance with applicable federal laws, and you complete the required documentation. Nurse aides who are listed as active on a registry in another state and are requesting to be placed on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry by reciprocity must meet eligibility requirements listed at §94.11(b)(1-5) of the Licensing Standards for Nurse Aides. No individual listed as unemployable on the Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR) or who has been found to have a conviction of a criminal offense listed in Texas Health and Safety Code, §250.006 will be eligible for reciprocity.

You need to complete and submit the Request for Entry on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry through Reciprocity form which is available here. The Texas Nurse Aide Registry has implemented a new online system called Credential Manager. Before completing the reciprocity form, you are required to register in the new system. After registration you will get your identification number which you have to provide with your application.

The reciprocity application has two parts but applicants from the following states do not have to complete the second part: California, Colorado, Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina. These applicants only need to complete the first section and mail the form to Texas. Once the required sections are complete you have to mail this form, a legible photocopy of a picture identification that shows your birth date and the correct spelling of your name, a copy of your Social Security card, and your criminal history results for all last names you ever had from the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to the address indicated in the application.

If you do not have an expiration date in the state you are active in, you must also complete and submit the employment verification form which can be found here. The form must be completed by your most recent employer within the last two years.

Texas Nurse Aide Registry staff will complete the EMR check, however, you must obtain a criminal history check from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). For instructions on how an individual can obtain a criminal history check, you may contact your local DPS office or visit their website. You must submit your criminal history results along with the reciprocity application and all other required documents and forms in order to be placed on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry by reciprocity. If you need additional help you may contact the registry staff by phone at 512-438-2050.

Once the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services receives all the required documents, the department will process your application and decide if you are eligible to receive CNA certification in Texas.