Do I have to take CNA classes if I already completed and graduated a program in another state?

0 votes
asked in Certification by Teresa
I recently moved from Michigan to Missouri. I completed a PCT program in Michigan, but never took the certification test. That was four years ago. I was wondering if I have to take the courses again or if I could just take the certification test.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered by Joann M.

In Missouri certain persons with training and experience may challenge the test according to regulation 19 CSR 30-84.010, however, only the Missouri DHSS can give you a definitive answer to your question because it really depends on what was or was not covered in the PCT program. The state approved course requires individuals to complete 75 hours of classroom training and 100 hours of on-the-job training. Some of the topics covered include: basic nursing skills, fire safety, disaster training, resident safety and rights, social and psychological problems of residents and the methods of caring for the mentally confused residents, such as those with Alzheimer's disease. You may contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services by phone at 573-526-5686 or email at to see if your prior training is acceptable.

All full or part-time employees of an ICF/SNF who are involved with direct resident care shall have completed an approved nurse assistant training program or shall enroll in and begin study in the approved training program within 90 days of employment, except that the following persons shall be permitted to challenge the final examination:

  • individuals listed on the Missouri certified nurse assistant registry on inactive status;
  • persons who were enrolled in a professional (RN) or practical (LPN) nursing education program for at least four months or who are enrolled in this program and who have successfully completed the Fundamentals of Nursing Course, including clinical hours within the last five years, may challenge the final examination of the course, as this training is deemed equivalent to the required classroom hours and on-the-job training;
  • professional nursing or practical nursing licensure candidates who have failed state licensure examinations;
  • individuals from other states who are approved to work as a nurse assistant in the other states;
  • students who have completed a nursing program outside the United States and who are awaiting the licensure examination in this country;
  • persons trained in acute care sections of hospitals as nursing assistants or persons trained as psychiatric aides after completing the orientation module with special emphasis on the geriatric residents’ needs, residents’ rights, orientation to the facility and the 100 hours of on-the-job training in an LTC facility or LTC unit of a hospital;
  • individuals trained in an LTC unit of a hospital and who have been employed in the LTC unit of the hospital for at least 12 months and who submit a letter of recommendation from the administrator or director of nursing documenting their training after completing the units on residents’ rights and care of the confused resident;
  • any other persons whose background, education and training in gerontology and health occupations includes the components of the approved training curriculum may be allowed to challenge the final examination after taking those portions of the course as determined to be necessary based on evaluation of their credentials by the supervisor of Health Education, Division of Senior Services and Regulation.

Individuals meeting any of the above requirements must submit a written request to:

Section for Long Term Care
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Attn: Health Education Unit
PO Box 570
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570.

Each request must include a clear copy of the individual's social security card, return address, a daytime telephone number and all additional documentation. The division will respond, in writing, either approving or denying the request to challenge the final examination and, if approved, the letter from the division may be presented to an approved training agency to challenge the examination or complete the course or portions of the course as required and then challenge the examination.

Related questions