How can I get certified in Kentucky if I got my license in another state?

0 votes
asked in License by Christine K.
I recently completed my CNA training in Chicago, Illinois and got certified. I would like to get certified as a nurse aide in Kentucky as well. Does Kentucky recognize the registration as a nurse aide that I obtained from another state? If so, kindly advise on the procedure that I need to undertake to complete the process.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered by Diana C.

Reciprocity is a method of transferring your nurse aide registration from one state to another state. If you are currently listed as active and in good standing on another state’s registry, you may apply for reciprocity to the Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry. A state registered nurse aide is any person who, for compensation, provides nursing care or health-related services to residents or clients of an employer. A SRNA is not a licensed health care professional but the aide has completed an approved training and competency examination program and is listed on the Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry. To get the reciprocity process started, you must submit the following documents and information:

  • Your full name (first, middle, last)
  • Telephone number
  • Mailing address
  • Social security number
  • Date of birth
  • The state you are transferring from
  • Your CNA certification or registration number
  • Copies of your social security card, driver's license and state nurse aide certification

The required information should be mailed to:

Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry
312 Whittington Pkwy, Ste 300-A
Louisville, KY 40222-5172

As long as you have active status on another state registry you may obtain a state registered nurse aide certification in Kentucky. If you do not have an active status in another state you must take an approved training course and the competency evaluation in Kentucky in order to become a SRNA. The toll-free number for the Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry is 888-530-1919.