How do I transfer my CNA license to Michigan?

0 votes
asked in License by J.N.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered by Robin S.


As of 2017, a certified nurse aide (CNA) must complete a training program and pass a knowledge and a clinical skills test in order to be registered and work in long term care facilities in Michigan. This requirement also applies to out-of-state applicants. In accordance with federal regulations, the State of Michigan requires all CNA applicants, including applicants that are currently trained and certified in other states, to complete a Michigan approved training course and pass the Michigan approved tests as well as verify that they are in good standing. You may contact the Michigan Health Facility Professional and Nurse Aide Section by email at or phone at 517-284-8961 to verify this information and for additional guidance.

A nurse aide with a current, active certification or registration in another US state can request exemption from training in Michigan, however, all applicants approved for exemption from training must take and pass a clinical and written examination.

You do not qualify for exemption if:

  1. Your Michigan CNA certificate has expired. You must retrain and test.
  2. You are a licensed Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse. Federal Law prohibits you from working as a CNA.
  3. You have completed training more than 24-months ago and failed to test or did not pass both parts of the test during the time period allotted. You must retrain and test. No exceptions or extensions will be granted.

Request for Exemption from Nurse Aide Training Instructions

  1. Completely fill out the training exemption request form which you can get by contacting the Michigan Bureau of Health Care Services, sign it and date it. Send the completed application to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Community and Health Systems at the address indicated on the form.
  2. Send photocopies of all out-of-state CNA certificates you hold whether they are active or inactive. Do not send the original certificate(s).
  3. If your name is different than what appears on your registry document, you will need to send a copy of the legal document confirming the name change such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree. Social Security cards or driver’s licenses are not acceptable.
  4. Each state that you hold a certificate or registration in must submit verification of your document, including any disciplinary action, directly to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services. If you are registered in more than one state, each state will need to verify your registration status regardless of it being active, inactive or expired. Complete the "Verification of Nurse Aide Certification in Another State" form and forward it to the state(s) in which you are currently certified or registered. As indicated in this document, for some states this step is not required.
  5. If your certificate does not have an expiration date, you must include or have submitted a letter from your current or previous employer, on their company letterhead with an original signature, verifying the following information:
  • The employer letter must be on company letterhead and be an original document (photocopies or faxes are not acceptable).
  • The letter must be signed by the Facility/Agency Administrator, Director of Nursing or Assistant Director of Nursing.

  • The letter must verify your beginning and ending date of employment as a Certified Nurse Aide. You must have worked at least 8 hours during the last 24-months under the supervision of a licensed Registered Nurse performing nursing or nursing related services in order to be granted the exemption from training.

If your certification has expired or has lapsed you must retrain. There are no exceptions to this rule. Federal rule and regulation CFR 42, Part 483 - Subpart B - Section 483.75 (7) - Required Retraining states the following:

If, since an individual’s most recent completion of a training and competency evaluation program, there has been a continuous period of 24 consecutive months during none of which the individual provided nursing or nursing-related services for monetary compensation, the individual must complete a new training and competency evaluation program or a new competency evaluation program.

If you are granted an exemption from training, you will receive notification from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services and the paperwork to apply with Prometric to get your Authorization to Test and a list of testing sites. You will need to take the notifications to your test site on the day of testing. If you fail to complete your testing within the 24 month allotted period, you will have to complete a Michigan approved Nurse Aide Training Program and pass the test. No exceptions or extensions to testing period will be granted.

It is your responsibility to have all required documentation sent to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services. Questions regarding your request for exemption can be directed to the Bureau of Health Care Services at 517-241-0554 three weeks after the date you sent the request. If you fail to complete the requirements for exemption within a 6-month period from date of filing the exemption, the request is no longer valid and will be destroyed.